History of the vineyards of Sancerre
The VINEYARDS OF SANCERRE are situated two hours South of Paris on the banks of the Loire. They extend over 2800 hectares. The vines are cultivated on magnificent hillsides ideally exposed from South-East to West. They have been in SANCERRE since the most ancient of times.
The vineyards were devastated by phylloxera at the end of the 19th century. Mostly planted with Pinot Noir before the phylloxera crisis, they were replanted with Sauvignon.
This Sauvignon, which is particularly well adapted to our terroir, produces quality white wines which have been recognised by the A.O.C. decree of 1936.
Sancerre Red and Sancerre Rosé obtained their A.O.C. status in 1959.